Event Steward: Cassandra Wineday of Newingate
Date: March 23 , 2019
Site opens at: 12:00 AM on March 23th 2019
Site closes at: 11:59 PM on
Cloverdale Fairgrounds – Alice McKay Building and Shannon Ha 6050A - 176th Street Surrey, BC V2X 5W4
The Lions Gate Arts & Sciences Championship and Bardic Championship will be held at Canterbury Fair on March 23, 2019. The deadline to declare your intention to enter the championship(s) is Sunday, February 24, 2019. Single entries are also welcome from those who do not wish to vie for the championship, with the same deadline to express intent.
The Arts & Science and Bardic Champions are meant to be an inspiration and role model for teaching and encouraging others. As Champion, you will represent the Barony through your leadership and by your example.
1. Two entries are required to enter the competition.
One entry will follow a traditional item/performance, presentation, and documentation format.
– The entry will be weighted as 60% of the overall score.
– The entry must be consistent with a pre-1600 date and can be from any culture within Europe or from a culture that traded with a European society. This can include Asia, North Africa and others.
– An A&S entry can be an object (book, clothing, footwear, box, etc.) or a research paper. It consists of the item/research paper, a visual display, documentation (showing your progress, research, conclusions, etc.), and an oral presentation to the judges.
– A Bardic entry is a performance piece. It consists of the performance, documentation (showing your progress, research, conclusions, etc.), and an oral presentation to the judges.
– This entry will be judged using the An Tir judging forms, which can be viewed at http://antirarts.com/forms/judging-forms/ . When declaring your intent to enter, please indicate which of the following categories your entry most likely fits into:
Arts and Sciences – Object
Arts and Sciences – Process
Arts and Sciences – Research Paper
Bardic – Musical Performance
Bardic – Visual Performance
Bardic – Spoken Word Performance
Bardic – Pure Composition Spoken Word
Bardic – Pure Composition Music
Bardic – Dance
Bardic – Original Music
Bardic – Original Spoken Word
The second entry will be judged by the populace, based on overall impression.
– The entry will be weighted as 40% of the overall score.
– No documentation is needed for this entry. Period-accurate entries are welcome, as well as entries that are inspired by the past or SCA culture. Yes, this includes filks!
– A&S entries will be displayed to the populace, and Bardic entries will be performed to the populace during a scheduled time.
– Using the “beans in a cup” method, populace members will cast their votes for the entry/performance of their choice.
– These second entries are intended to show the skill of our artisans and performers, as they present to the populace and your Baron & Baroness, and not to a panel of judges. They’re meant to be less serious than a traditional competition, and yet still indicate that the winner is a true Champion in their field.
– These two scores will be combined to determine our Arts & Sciences and Bardic Champions.
2. Each entrant must be present at the competition (no proxy judging).
3. An entrant must submit a letter of intent to Their Excellencies of Lions Gate and the Arts & Sciences Minister by FEBRUARY 24th (although earlier is preferred!). This is to ensure suitable judges can be located prior to the event. Email is perfectly acceptable and encouraged. The letter should include your name, home branch, any fealty ties (if you’re a squire, a protégé or an apprentice for instance), detailed descriptions of your entries and any special requirements you may have for your entries. Email addresses are firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Entries may not have been previously entered at Kingdom or Principality level. A piece can have been entered at a Baronial or Shire level previously but only if there has been significant, notable changes (you should be able to discuss these changes with the judges).
There is no theme for the Arts & Sciences Championship or Bardic Championship.
For more information, please liaise with the Baronial Minister of Arts & Sciences, Lady Millicent of Eaglescliff at email@example.com.
This event includes the following activities and/or services:
Arts & Sciences Activities
Add all events from Lions Gate to your personal calendar (ical format)Map Unavailable
|Adult (19 and over)||$20|
|Child (18 and under)||$0|
|*SCA Members will receive a $5 member discount off the cost listed above.|
Day food and an Evening Pot Luck with bar will be available.
Set up, take down and Gate will all need help. Please contact the Event Steward with what you would like to help with.
please contact Lady Sadhbh Bheag inghean Toirrdhealbaigh (Angela Gallant). PM her or email firstname.lastname@example.org ta
This page was last updated: January 17, 2019